Monday, February 26, 2007

He Makes Me Laugh

I think now would be a good time to articulate some of the many reasons that I love Jeff, and why I believe our relationships works. I guess these paragraphs will serve as a reminder to me to appreciate my husband everyday (not just on Valentine’s Day, or when he does something extra special for me).


There isn’t only one most important thing that makes us gel, but I do think one of the most satisfying aspects of our relationship is how he makes me laugh. Jeff is funny. He finds humor in everyday things, can lighten the mood when it needs lightening, comes up with quirky puns, and can make fun of himself and me without being the least bit threatening.


The old adage, opposites attract, is most definitely true in our case. Intellectually, we are on two completely different planes. I’m the bookworm…I comprehend things on a theoretical basis, easily understand math and science, and am annoyed by things like poor grammar. All of this sounds just great, but for many practical purposes, I’m quite useless. Jeff, on the other hand, picks up where I am lacking. He understands mechanics and physics on a much more pragmatic level, can start from absolutely nothing and figure out how to build, fix, or plan a complete project from start to finish. Most of the projects he’s worked out lately have started as ideas in my head…lucky for me, I have someone who can translate “idea” into reality. I would be most definitely lost in translation without him. I don’t know why I couldn’t have inherited some of my Mom’s skills…


Sometimes, however, being such polar opposites is rather annoying. For instance, the only television he’ll watch is on the Discovery or History Channels. He also loves The Simpson’s, which does have some smart humor, but most of it just isn’t funny to me. Anyway, I just read while he’s watching TV, and he plays his guitar while I’m watching my shows. This brings me to another reason I love Jeff. He’s so talented! How many girls are lucky enough to be able to swoon over their lead-guitarist husbands?


I once came across a poster that listed some of the things you can do to have a “happy” life. Number one on the list was “Marry the Right Person.” Although I don’t believe that someone else can determine my happiness, I do believe that someone else can make it a little easier to be happy. Jeff makes it easy for me to be happy. I really hope I do the same for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

12:49 pm? what, you blog at work?
i sense some good timing in this particular blog....