Thursday, February 08, 2007

CEMSDEMS, Bureaucrats, and a Two-Day Trip

Let me start with the acronym mentioned in my title. CEMSDEMS....what the heck? That's what I say, but I actually do know what a "CEMS" is....only because I work in the regulated realm of air polluters in the United States . A "CEMS" is a certified emissions monitoring system. After spending two days at a CEMS workshop, I still don't know for what the "DEMS" stands, even though the bureaucrats used the term several times. They also used "EDR," which I think means electronic data report, and several other acronyms which I can't seem to remember right now. Anyway, my point is that authority figures should not assume that the regulated members of industry are familiar with their goofy terms.

Now, one of our government employees happened to mention that they could not provide us with donuts and refreshments at the free workshop because of budgetary issues. I'm certainly not complaining that there were no donuts, but I was a bit shocked at the estimate that the DEP came up with when determining refreshment costs. I'm pretty sure that they planned to do 6 separate workshops, that is, one for each regulated region in PA. The more populated regions would certainly have bigger crowds, but I would say that the average number of attendees per session would be 75. So 75 people x 6 sessions = 450 hungry people. The sessions were each scheduled for 2 days, so for mathematical purposes, we'll call that 900 people. This is definitely a high-end estimate.

So, your average donut costs about $0.60, and coffee when made by the pot is less than $0.50/cup. So, we're looking at $1.10 per person. 900 x $1.10 = $990 for all six two-day sessions. Maybe a little expensive, and probably cost-prohibitive for our government.

HOWEVER, let me know reveal the DEP's estimate for refreshments...

$10,000

No wonder our government is so inept at managing money. If I worked for the government and was with a group of regular, everyday citizens, I certainly would have kept that little number to myself.

Enough venting....

The best parts of my trip to
Meadville included the dinner at an Italian restaurant (crab-stuffed Sole, garlic mashed taters, salad and yummy bread), and the very relaxing night at the hotel (no husband, no dogs). Back to work tomorrow.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting donut data, Jamie..
our government at work... What they need is a 3rd grader to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Wait a minute, maybe Mr. Bush is available. Oh yeah, that's right, he has trouble with division.