Monday, December 28, 2009

Grief

In reality, I have been grieving for the loss of our life, for over two years. Jeff and I were VERY happy when he was first diagnosed. We were in love with each other, had jobs we liked, a baby on the way, a house we were busy remodeling, and the list goes on....we were happy and WE KNEW we were happy. We were not two people who were too busy with life to recognize that we had it good.

So, when we found out that Jeff had AML, devastation settled itself upon our (apparently) too nice life. As we navigated through surgeries, chemotherapy and transplant number one, we succumbed to the fact that our life had definitely changed, but held out hope for a better future. For me, most of that hope died out in February after Jeff's first relapse. I am well-versed on AML, its treatments, its causes (or lack thereof), and of course, its sobering statistics. A relapse after a transplant is BAD. There is no other word for it. Very, very few people survive for very long after the relapse. A second relapse, of course, portends an even more bleak future for its victims.

If I look back on things now, I grieved for the loss of our life, as we knew it, after the first transplant, and I began grieving for Jeff back in February after the first relapse. Any hope that I did have was transferred to Jeff in any way I could manage. I didn't outwardly grieve him while he was here, but on the inside, I was preparing myself. I needed to do that so that I could manage the months of treatments and be able to take care of JD. Maybe that sounds confusing, but I'm not somebody who lives with my head buried in the sand - I needed to face what was probably coming.

I've now lost two people who were absolutely shining lights in my life. One of them left me suddenly, and the other over the course of two years. I can't say that one way is better than the other, but I can say that in a lot of ways, a sudden loss is easier. The grief is more intense, but the anxiety leading up to a sudden death is non-existent, and anxiety about death is a cruel, cruel punishment, especially for a 30-year old.

Where am I now? Good question. We're only two weeks out, and I'm okay. Not good yet, and maybe I'm still in a little bit of shock - shock that I'll never hear Jeff's voice again, never hear him strum his guitar, or never see him kiss JD again. BUT, I'm also relieved that leukemia doesn't have to be a regular part of my day, that JD doesn't have to live in Hershey and at home, that Jeff is no longer struggling with his own mortality, and that he is no longer in pain. I've loved Jeff since I was 16 years old, and I AM relieved that I don't have to watch him suffer anymore. Really relieved.

Rest in peace, my beautiful, beautiful man.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your strength is unparalleled as are your tragedies. May God grant you and JD happiness in some shape or form that makes the grief tolerable. May Jeff rest in peace and watch over you both.

Anonymous said...

Jamie death is cruel very cruel I dont care if your 30 or 80 death is terrible. There are so many memories good and bad.
But the good out way the bad by far. I know like you he was sick buy you just don,t want to let go.It is terrible, very lonely. The kids are good but its not the same. The days and nights get longer, I realy miss him. We will grieve together, Love You Aunt Florencie
Give the little guy a big hug for me.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful way with words, Jamie. I can feel just how much you loved both your mom and Jeff. My heart just aches for you and JD. I can't say that I'd be doing as ok as you appear to be doing. You are a strong, strong woman.

Huncher & Lorraine said...

I bet you get tired of hearing how 'strong' you are...but in reality I don't think I know of anyone with your amazing outlook on life.
I would also like to ditto something said on another post. ..
You gave us so much by sharing your life, your feelings and your family.
Your feelings have got to be mixed with the sadness and the relief.
Hand in there and they will hopefully balance out.

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you, JD and for Jeff as well.
Faisal and Jackie

Ashley Ashworth said...

I don't know what to say, other than I know what you're feeling. The grief is overwhelming. My husband passed away the same day as yours, December 13th. It's a strange thing. After reading your blog, I realize that My husband went in the ICU the same day as yours did to get ventilated as well. I don't believe in coincidences. It's refreshing to read your thoughts, because I know you understand how I feel, more than anyone around me, even my family, and my husbands family. I just wanted to say thank you, for sharing your honest thoughts and feelings. I can tell you are a strong woman, and an amazing mother. I know you don't know me, but if you ever need anything, even just to vent, here is my email: ashley_ashworth@hotmail.com
I can tell you're an amazing woman. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Ashley Ashworth
adventuresofrobdobandashpants.blogspot.com