Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Staph Infection

Although Jeff does not have a fever, the cultures that they take from his line every morning started growing staph over the weekend, so they started him on another antibiotic. He can't be discharged until his line is clear, so we're here for at least a few more days.

Because the lumbar punctures that Jeff gets every week (for the chemo) have been quite painful, he requested that they use the x-ray machine for better aim. Well, turns out that it worked great. Jeff had no pain when the fellow doing the procedure put the needle in his back. The bad news came when the fellow realized that he never ordered the chemo, so Jeff had to wait with a needle in his back for an hour. Needless to say, my husband was VERY mad.

This morning, he has a pretty horrible headache, probably a result of yesterday's procedure. Hopefully, he gets some relief from the paid meds.

8 comments:

Sally said...

Jamie,

Sorry to hear about these recent setbacks, but good for Jeff for suggesting the x-ray. Sounds like that will help in the future.

Thinking of you often,
Sally, Andy, Ava & Reese

Angie said...

Jamie & Jeff & JD,

Just wanted to let you know that I have been keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. May you find the strength to get through each and every day until Jeff comes home all clear. My heart breaks for you as I read each bad day and I love the smile that I get from the good day posts.

Sending my love and some strength your way.

Angie Caskey Ehrensberger

Danielle Micale said...

A long long time ago a boy broke up with me and all i wanted to do was poop in a box and put it on his car. and I think forgetting chemo and leaving a needle in your back for an hour warrants this same scenario. I know the person for the job...his name is JDDDD!!!

Paula said...

Jeff, great idea!
Next time
ask for a female
x-ray tech.
She'd have
the x-ray,
the chemo,
AND a freeze pop for you!

Melissa (AML Survivor) said...

Jeff,
I am Melissa, I am 37 and I am a AML Survivor. I read your blog and wanted to send you and your family HUGS and PRAYERS!!! I know that this is a long hard road.
Your wife's cousin Danielle sent a message to my e-mail. I am not sure exactly what to say but Thumbs Up!!

HUGS, Prayers and Friendship,
Melissa amlsurvivor2001@yahoo.com
Diagnosed with AML in November 1999
Went into remission in Spring of 2000
Relapsed in December 2000
MUD BMT on July 11, 2001
100% Cancer Free Ever Since.

Rob and Lisa said...

Can't say I don't blame Jeff for being upset at all. I would not tolerate a needle in my back for long either. The hell he must be going through... I hope the staph gets cleared up and you guys can go home for a bit to recharge. Hang in there!

nicky and mark said...

Hey guys, poor Jeff!! I bet he was ready to kill that guy!!! I think Danielle has a great idea!! Hope Jeff is feeling better soon! Give little JD a hug and kiss from Aunt Nicky!!! Love You!!!

Becky said...

Jeff and Jamie, I am keeping up with your posts and every time I read them think about the amazing strength the 2 of you have to endure all this BS. You guys are still in my prayers that one of these days the man upstairs will give you all a break, hopefully soon! Take care and hope you feel better soon!