Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Love, Lust and NASCAR

So, I was probably the only fan reading Lolita at Watkins Glen on Sunday. And, actually, I’m not necessarily a fan of racing, but I am a fan of reading! However, my first NASCAR experience was quite fun…we (Rich, Nicole, Dad, Jeff and me) made the trek to the track on Sunday to watch one of NASCAR’s few road races. The crowd’s excitement was contagious, the smells of barbeque were tempting, and the alcohol-induced carefree spirit of the fans made for a great day. Although I still don’t have a favorite racer and certainly don’t know the ins and outs of the sport, I do have a new appreciation and understanding of why the country is so race crazy.

As I mentioned, I did get to read a bit of Lolita on Sunday, and I’m still quite intrigued. I no longer think I’m reading about your run-of-the-mill pedophile, but I don’t (yet?) quite think it’s a love story. I think that Humbert definitely has lustful feelings towards Lo, but love?? We’ll see.

No comments: