Friday, August 25, 2006

Book Club

Last night we finally discussed Lolita. Of course, with four different minds, we had four totally different takes on the books. Jen was so repulsed that she didn’t finish it…I think this is probably because she has to deal with kids that do get sexually abused. Hannah found the book to be beautifully written, especially when considering the subject matter. Paula was completely engrossed from start to finish…she said this was a “meat and potatoes” book and that we should read more of these.

I found the book to be (using Jen’s remark) “repulsive yet intriguing”. I’m the only one who found the book funny. Humbert’s dry view of the world had me laughing on several occasions. I think you have to get past the subject matter and totally engross yourself in the prose. Who could have thought that a book written from a sexual predator’s perspective could be so poetically written? One of the things we didn’t discuss, and I’m wondering how the others felt, is that I think Humbert was able to evoke some empathy from me. He was so totally and completely in love with Delores, and Delores being the child that she was could never possibly feel the same way. His descriptions of her were so detailed, erotic, substantiating…wow, I almost have to wish that Jeff had the ability to put into words, (the way Humbert did) his love for me. (Okay, so that isn’t happening anytime soon!)

Anyway, next book is Seabiscuit. I’ll write more when I find something worthy to write about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the book club...
What a delight in my life.
Three diverse young women and me.
Life is good.