Monday, January 28, 2008

Coming Home

Well, after 4 very long months, it looks like we may be able to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Dr. Claxton thinks that Jeff is in pretty good shape for Day +32, and he gave us the go-ahead to go home...on Thursday, after one more round of blood work. Of course, there will be lots of follow-up. We'll have to come back to Hershey every other week to see the doctor, and have labs drawn at home on the opposite week. Jeff has to be extra careful for the next few months to avoid sick and recently vaccinated people, or else we could easily end up back in the hospital. Like I've mentioned before, Jeff's immune system isn't going to be fully functioning for quite some time.

This whole ordeal has been our worst nightmare, and sometimes even though I'm living it, I don't believe that it has happened to us. That being said, I also am completely overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends, families, and also plenty of strangers. I'm sure that without all of the help, our nightmare could have been much worse, and for this, I am very thankful. I know we could never pay back all of the gifts and favors that we received, so at the risk of sounding a little cliche, we'll just have to 'pay it forward.'

I know that being home will help Jeff begin to heal in ways that he can't here in Hershey. I also think that I might be able to let go of some of the bitterness that I have been harboring all of this time. We'll also be able to feel a little more normal, and at least some of my maternity leave will feel like it's about the baby.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! It looks like Jeff found his red heels, clicked them together, and said "theres no place like home"
Oh Happee Day!

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Jamie,
Yes! Yes! This is great news!
Pam P.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Jamie and JD healing together in Johnsonburg...WOW!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, Jeff and JD,
This is the best news that we have heard in a long time. They say Prayer is very powerful and the three of you have had so much from so many.
It is great to hear you are coming home. Take some time for the three of you to just relax and bond.
JD is so beautiful, and I know that he will bring joy to your life and help Jeff get better very fast. When all is well I can't wait to see the little guy!

Love from St. Marys,
Maria and Bobby

Anonymous said...

dan told me last night that he thinks I will never come right home from work once you guys get home...Of course I would always call before I stopped, but you 3 deserve the time alone together. Don't be afriad to tell any of us that! Love ya and can't wait to have you home!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jamie & Jeff , JD
Welcome home , We can't wait to see you all soon .
It sounds very Good . I think Jeff will heal better in his own Bed and home . I agree there is no Place Like HOME!!!
Be safe , Take Care
friend,
Dorothy ( From Kanas)

Chriss & Andy said...

Jeff & Jamie,
HOORAY! Finally comming home together with the baby (BY the way I fell in love with your son)He is absolutely preciou,and what a good baby. I hope and pray each day that your lives will return to normal very soon and that all the good times ahead will replace and overshadow any of the times that have been clouding your lives these past few months. The three of you deserve so much, and it will come and be better than you could ever imagine. You just have to always be there for each other and there is nothing you cant get through.
May you have nothing but miles of happiness on the roads ahead.
Love to all
Chriss & Andy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Hallie and Chance will be reunited with the Eckert Family!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Jamie, Jeff & Jeff Jr.! We were very happy to learn that you are all finally able to make it home. Home can be such a great & peaceful feeling. I'm sure it will to wonders for the three of you. Yeah!
Thinking of you,
Becki & Troy

Anonymous said...

Happy Homecoming Jeff,Jamie & JD !

We are so thrilled and thankful that this day has come ... at last ... the "first day of the rest of your lives together as a family" !! God Bless You!

There truly is NO PLACE LIKE HOME for healing, getting strong again, relaxing and getting back to normal once again!

Lots of kisses and hugs for little Jeff David Jr. .... what a beautiful, precious baby boy !!

Lots of Love,
Betsy & Joe

Anonymous said...

If I had a brain, I would have written this sooner!

What is going on at home?

THE STRAW MAN WANTS TO KNOW!

Anonymous said...

If you had a heart, you'd give us some pictures of that sweet little Jeff!

Anonymous said...

There's no place like home!
There's no place like home!
There's no place like home!

Auntie Em needs to hear some news!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Eckert FAMILY!!

You've had a long road....here's to an easy recovery....for all of you!!

Love,
Laura & Jamie Antonelli

Anonymous said...

Love the wizard of oz theme!!!! We are all so blog addicted we need to hear some news.