Friday, December 01, 2006

Being Thankful

Well, I've been a bit cranky lately, which is why it has taken me over a week to write my "I'm thankful for post..." I'm not sure why I've been cranky, but who knows, sometimes you just have to be cranky. So, for the past cranky week I've been feeling sorry for myself because of Mom, and I just couldn't think of anything for which to be thankful.

Now that I'm in my usual jovial mood, I'm going to start my thanks with my Mom. How lucky was I to have such an amazing person for a mother? And, I had her for almost 24 years. There are tons of kids who lose parents much earlier. Of course, there are also lots of people who don't understand what I'm talking about because they're in their 50's or 60's and still have both parents. These people should be writing blogs about how lucky they feel! I'm a little off track...back to Mom. First of all, she always knew how to make you feel better. Mom wasn't somebody who said a whole lot, but when she did say something she made her words worth the effort. I don't think there are kids out there who were more loved than Richie and me, and that has helped the both of so much! She and Dad taught us how to love, which is one of the best gifts they could have given us.

Second, Mom taught us how to be practical and level-headed, although I didn't necessarily inherit or learn everything she could have taught me. This was by no means her fault...I don't think I have all of the necessary genes I need to practical and level-headed all of the time.

Third, and this is going to be last point even though there are tons of others. Mom knew how to laugh and when she did, it was most infectious. I keep remembering the time she called me at work in Philly to tell me that Paula actually cut the cord off of the electric hedger while trimming Grandma's bushes. She could barely get the words out, because she was laughing so hard. I think her last comment was something about always wondering what would happen if you did that.

This is getting to be a wordy post...I'll keep the rest of my thanks short and sweet. I'm certainly thankful for the rest of my living family, including in-laws and soon-to-be in-laws (Nicole and her family), for Jeff, Hallie, Chance, Oz, and Brady, for my intelligence and wit (Ha Ha), for my job that I enjoy, for my good health, for all of my great female friends, and for having the ability to write this blog and enjoy readers' comments.

On that note, I would love to hear some of the things for which you are thankful.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

This has been a wild year for me. I am most thankful for my beautiful and healthy baby boy. How much joy he gives me... I can't even put it into words. That smile lights up my life. I don't even know how I got by before.
I love my little family: bouncing baby boy, loving and dedicated husband, evil little cat. I can't think of anything anyone could want more out of life.
I am grateful for the rest of my family: parents, sisters, in-laws, friends.
I am also grateful for a job that I enjoy, that is basically 9-5 with weekends free, and pays enough for a comfortable lifestyle (including the ability to have my baby at home with a parent instead of at daycare).
I am grateful for good health -- for myself and loved ones.
There is so much...