Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 18 (I miscounted yesterday)

Jeff received the DLI today, and so he's smelling a bit like creamed corn. It's a bit nauseating to me, but it's not bothering him too much. Just like last time, the cells felt funny going in, but his body handled it without much fanfare. He is still feverish and last night the nurses had him on the cooling blanket for temps that were approaching 104 degrees. In light of the continued fevers, the infectious disease team was in to make sure that his regular doctors weren't missing something. After an examination, they followed up with a probe of his sinuses and CAT scan of his jaw. He's had a sore tooth and is convinced that it must be causing his fevers. I disagree, and don't think they'll find anything specific, which means that I don't think the problem is going to go away until his white blood count recovers. This could happen as early as Day 20, but as late as Day 28. Ugh.

Because of the way Jeff's marrow looked on Day 13, Dr. Claxton thinks that Jeff will recover his blood counts in remission. This is good news, but we really need to hope for some graph vs. host, so that the remission is sustainable.

The hospital is exhausting to me, as I am there most of the day and then come home to a baby that seems to be getting another tooth. I have been sustaining myself with cafe mochas, coffee and Pepsi, although I did manage to eat some spinach today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie I know it is not easy to see someone you love suffer so bad..But please eat and stay strong for jeff and JD,,For he is a fighter and will get better...Give him our love...Thinking of you all. Thanks for keeping us posted,look forward to it. Love Florencie

Jamie Schaut said...

I agree with Florencie...Jamie,eat and stay strong for your boys!
FYI: If you want to know the day just ask Danielle! She told me!

Another FYI: JD is running around like his ass is on fire! What an adorable, active boy. He's a dangler, a roughneck, an eating machine, and a smile bug..what a combination of fun and sweetness to put a smile on everybody's face who sees him.

Anonymous said...

Whoops! Paula left the last account on Jamie's computer.

Huncher & Lorraine said...

Thinking of you often, thank God that you and JD are there for Jeff...I'm sure it helps lift his spirits.
Sounds like this is really tough on you so please take good care of yourself.
I sure hope that God keeps you strong and healthy and lets your husband join you there.

PS: does Jeff have access to email?