Saturday, December 29, 2007

Day +2

As expected, Jeff's counts are dropping and he is actually receiving a transfusion of red blood as I write this. He generally handles the transfusions without any side effects, so let us all hope that trend continues. I'm guessing that tomorrow he'll need a good dose of platelets, as they are keeping his clotting cells higher this round to prevent any more hemorrhaging incidents in his eyes.

To slow down the engraphment of Mark's cells, Jeff has received a dose of methotrexate (a type of chemotherapy when used in high enough doses), and will receive two more over the next 4 days. This will help to reduce the symptoms of graph vs. host disease in the early days of recovery. Unfortunately, it will probably also increase the severity of the mouth sores that Jeff is beginning to get. If all goes well, Days +3 to +8 will probably be the most uncomfortable for him, so I'm going to try to keep my spirits high so that he doesn't get too depressed. (This is easier said than done, but I'll do my best.)

Oh - I went to my new OB again this week, and everything is looking good. My belly is measuring exactly where it should be, the baby's head is down, and my blood pressure is low. Baby Eckert has very active days, and pretty laid back days...this makes me think he has a good bit of both mine and Jeff's personalities. Let's hope for everybody's sake that he leans towards Jeff's!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess i'll be the first,so i can beat the little booger. Scott and I are thinking about you's. Tell Jeff Hi for us.Scott also noticed you called the baby a he.... Love from your neighbors
ps. we like your personality to.

Anonymous said...

Jamie did the DR. have any idea as to when the little Eckert baby will come into this world? I sure hope everything is going ok there.Tell Jeff we are all thinking about him...If you need anything please call me. LOVE YOU ALL AUNT FLORENCE

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I listened to Six Pack Demo CD for six hours yesterday as I delivered the mail. It was a GREAT six hours! The 1st track refers to the 4th of July and Jamie is holding that watermelon (that gets bigger every week!) for you guys to enjoy. If Einstein is anything like your beagle he'll be sneaking a piece of that watermelon before the fireworks start. I'm excited to deliver mail again, and can't wait to see the size of the Einstein this week! Tweedle-DUM is coming,too.

Unknown said...

Hi Jamie-
I came upon your blog after seeing a comment in Seth's blog. (another AML patient) My husband (Glenn, 39) was diagnosed in April with AML, as well. We doctor at HUP in Philly- just read through some of your entries and can so relate. Wanted to say hello and lend a hand if I could in any way. My email is amylgleason@yahoo.com and my blog (which was my business blog turned cancer updates....) is amygleason.com. Sending a hug- and hoping to hear good news over the next few weeks.

Amy Gleason

Anonymous said...

little booger? what is your crazy neighbor talking about? im nothing less than a BIG booger! and im going to make that baby an even bigger booger!! moohaha