Friday, July 30, 2010

Facebook Post and Other Stuff

My friend Amy (from Team Gleason) posted this quote as her Facebook status, and I am stealing it. My facebook friends have already seen it, because I shared her post on my page. I tear up every time I read it. It's just SO true.

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are… Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in my pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return." ... - Mary Jean Iron

I haven't posted here for a while, and it's because I'm finding sharing my grief (and my new life) publicly, to be very difficult. However, I miss writing this blog, and I miss hearing from the readers. So, maybe I'll try to make a return to the blogging world.

Anyway, the other day I had a good, although difficult and sad experience while out shopping. After handing my credit card to the clerk, she took a look at me and said, something like, "Can I ask you something...??? Your husband???" And I just shook my head yes. She proceeded to tell me that her husband passed away this year, from cancer, and that she found my blog while he was sick. She said it helped enormously in that she knew that she and her husband weren't the only ones. The grief and pain of a recent loss was obvious on her face, and I managed not to break down. She gave me a hug, another thank you, and I went on my way. I guess I know that I should continue writing here, because there are other grieving people who might benefit from having their feelings "normalized." I have become friends with a two other women whose stories are eerily similar to my own, and I know for a fact that my actions and emotions are real, raw and completely normal.

I'm going to try to work up the nerve to start writing again, about what I'm going through, about how Jeff is still omnipresent in my everyday life, and about my new "normal." In the mean time, take the quote above to heart, and if you're lucky enough to be somewhere in your life, where most days are normal ones, then please, oh please, rejoice in it.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

I'm so glad that you are doing well, aside from the grief that pops up when you least expect it.
It's really weird that I just checked here last week to see if you were back and surprise....here you are.
You take of yourself and JD and be happy :)

Michele Ament said...

Rejoicing! Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again jamie for making me stop and think once again. I am so glad to hear you and jd are doing good. Take care.

Chrissy keebler

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Jamie. You will never really know all the lives you touched when you shared your love, wisdom and grief with family, friends, and those who you really didn't even know. I don't blog, or do facebook, but I did and will check in with you from time to time and wish you all the happiness in life that you deserve.
Jeff was loved by everyone who knew him, and so are you and little J.D.
God bless you with His loving peace. Betsy