Friday, February 22, 2008

Day + 57


Jeff was back in Hershey yesterday for his bi-weekly checkup, and Dr. Claxton said that Jeff's blood counts are the best he's ever seen at this stage in the game. Although this is great news, we still have to be diligent in preventing him from getting sick. Jeff also had his Hickman removed, which means I don't have to play nurse anymore. The next step for Jeff is a few weeks of radiation in Du Bois, as a prophylactic measure against any remaining cancer cells. This will get him up and out of the house for a few hours every day, which I think, will help to him to regain some of his strength and stamina.

Speaking of strength and stamina, I'm pretty exhausted. JD eats about every 3 hours now, although occasionally I get 4 hours between feedings at night. He's also sleeping in his crib, which is helping me to get a few extra minutes of sleep. Wow, I never thought I'd be measuring my sleep in minutes! Anyway, exhaustion aside, I'm loving my time at home with the baby. Especially, the time we spend all alone in the middle of the night. Crazy as it sounds, I think I'll miss the late-night feedings once he's sleeping through the night. Not that I'm going to try to delay it...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Jamie,
I am so glad Jeff is doing so well. You came from good stock, Jeff! The baby is really beautiful. You can really see him growing. He looks so content. That's because his parents make him feel that way. Keep up the good work, kids. Things are heading in the right direction. Think about you often. Love, Pam

Anonymous said...

Just love reading your blogs, Jamie, and seeing little JD is precious! I know what you mean about the middle of the night feedings. It is such a peaceful time, isn't it? Like you are the only two people awake in the world or something. Enjoy every day (and night) with your little guy as these are moments you'll always treasure! And give Daddy Jeff a big hug from all of us, Jamie! God bless you all,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Here is a site that you might find helpful... bmtinfonet.org There is a lot of information here. You can sign up for there news letter also.

Anonymous said...

WOOT WOOT!!! for jeff senior! thats the new college cheer! you can let jeff know that so he can stay up on being hip!

oh the crib, the wonderful crib. i would just like to mention taht, auntie em wanted to set up that crib herself one day! but dont you worry i kept her distracted with something else. she didnt lay a hand on that crib during its construction!

i have a request! im not around a lot so can you maybe mention my name to junior now and then. put a picture in his room perhaps.

Anonymous said...

SO GLADE TO HERE FROM YOU...THAT IS GREAT NEWS THAT JEFF IS DOING SO WELL...I AM SO HAPPY THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER FOR ALL OF YOU. TELL JEFF TO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK WE LOVE HIM AND STILL PRAYING FOR HIM....ANDDDDDDD THAT BEAUTIFUL CONTENTED BABY..OH MY I CAN JUST FEEL THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR HIM!!!CAN NOT WAIT TILL I CAN BABY SIT HIM SOME TIME....TAKE CARE, Love yous!!!!! Aunt Florencie.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I'm glad that you are in Johnsonburg and that hickman is in Hershey! It's gotta feel good getting rid of that annoying, but lifesaving, contraption.

Anonymous said...

nice to see your incorporating more than just your story, to keep me on my feet! i had to use the dictionary on this one!

sometimes reading your blog, isnt just reading your blog. its also a vocabulary lesson.

Rachael said...

You get used to the new routines and the exciting things that are happening with your precious baby. You won't miss the night time feedings, you'll just sort of miss him being so small and cuddly. However, the reward is that he'll actually call you "Mama" and give you "big hug[s]" and kisses (yes, those are direct quotes). It's still amazing, just different. The guys at work laugh at me when I point out that from the moment they're born, they don't need you as much (first, you provide EVERYTHING while they're in the womb, then they need you to care for them so carfully and they need your milk, then they start to be more independent, feed themselves,etc...). I'm going to be the BIGGEST mess in a few years when Harlan heads off to kindergarten! :)